Skip to content
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint partly rendered with ashlar and
some brick dressings. Slate, pantile and corrugated concrete tile roofs.
Former western tower; aisled nave with porches; chancel with vestry to north.
West wall with scars of former tower and a partially blocked tower arch
serving as a window. Modern bellcote. South aisle with a C14 2-light cusped
Y-traceried west window, 3 C14 2-light south windows, 2 with mouchettes and
a C14 3-light east window with mouchettes – one light blocked by rood stair
projection. C14 cusped tomb recess in south wall with ogee head. Graffito
with initials E.B. and date 1594. Broken C14 tomb slab in recess with raised
cross decoration. Large porch with double ogee moulded entrance arch on
shafted responds. C14 2-light side windows with reticulated tracery. C14
south doorway with filletted roll mouldings and carved head label stops.
North aisle with C14 2-light windows similar to south aisle. Porch with
plain chamfered entrance arch and cusped 2-light side windows. Early roof
with moulded wall plate and principal rafters supported on wall posts. North
doorway of 2 plain chamfered orders. 6 2-light clearstorey windows with
cusping. Chancel with 4 3-light panel traceried side windows with shallow
heads and a 4-light east window in similar style. Gabled diagonal buttresses
and a priest’s doorway to south. Interior. Plain chamfered tower arch of
2 orders on polygonal responds. 4-bay arcades of tall octagonal piers
supporting arches of 2 plain chamfered orders. Chancel arch in similar
style. Surviving rood stair doorway and door in south aisle. Cusped piscina
in chancel. Late Medieval moulded arch braced chancel roof. Surviving dado
of C15 screen with 10 mutilated paintings. Late Medieval polygonal pulpit
with blind tracery and later shelves on carved brackets. C19 or C20 panelled
base. Late Medieval nave pews with poppy-head bench ends and carved arm
rests. C18 box pews in aisles. C17 panelled dada on east wall of chancel
with carved frieze. Plain octagonal font on octagonal stem with moulded
capital. Fine marble wall monument in chancel to Robert Long (died 1656).
Listing NGR: TL7647698976
Taken from www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk